[Rhodes22-list] Failed Stays & varnish

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Fri Sep 21 12:02:18 EDT 2007

John,

Please read carefully (from the section on terminal fittings), especially
the LAST LINE:

Terminal fittings, especially swage fittings at the deck, are prone to rust
where the wire enters the swage. Rust indicates a serious problem and the
swage and possibly the wire should be replaced. Some skippers like to use
gel or wax to prevent water from entering the swage. While this may be
effective for a while, it probably won't keep water out for long and could
very well trap water inside, encouraging corrosion.

No wax for me,
Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY