[Rhodes22-list] Failed Stays & varnish

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Fri Sep 21 13:49:29 EDT 2007

Rummy,

Be careful with heat on the fittings.  Excessive heat (torch) may discolor
the stainless and even light heating may increase the corrosion of the
fitting due to expansion of the swage fitting.  The most important aspect of
a swage fitting is to maintain an airtight seal between the wire and the
fitting.  At time of assembly, this is sometimes accomplished with an
anaerobic sealant on the wire.  Heating may destroy the sealant or expose
the wire to oxygen as a result of the different expansion coefficients of
the fitting and the wire.

I only recommend inspection and light cleaning to remove debris that may
trap moisture.

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY