[Rhodes22-list] Hank, reply on safet/security cables

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Fri Sep 21 17:31:24 EDT 2007

Hank,

Your local Home Depot or Lowe's will have suitable cables.  There are
several choices at both places.  I use two on my motor.  My marina is not
known for security and my slip is near the front.

They make one out of 1/4 inch cable about three feet long.  It has two
loops, one on each end.  It requires a separate lock.  Any small marine
useable padlock works.  It will feed thru where the the motor rotates then
thru the special Stanley eyebolt using the lock to secure both ends to the
eyebolt.

They sell a mega security cable about 1/2 inch thick with a four digit
locking end.  This can go thru the motor handle and around a back rail
stanchion.

In this part of the world, outboard motors do disappear.  I have one of
those reliable light weight 2 cycles which are valuable to those small
fishing boat.  A new outboard motor is a hot theft item anywhere near the
water when it is left on overnite with the back of the boat facing away from
the dock.  They come in by boat usually at night and nobody knows.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
"laveer - to sail against the wind "