[Rhodes22-list] High thrust engine-transom

ASNOOCH at aol.com ASNOOCH at aol.com
Sun Sep 23 21:53:45 EDT 2007

Robert, I would suggest that you consider Stan's recommendation to use the
minimal amt. of Hp to get up to hull speed... unless you consider a beef up....

I will attempt in during the next few days to take a stern photo....  however
she is dockside.... anode is below water level...
To control cost, weight and ease of construction.... I placed the aluminum
plate on the outside. It covered the entire port half of the stern..and matches
 it's configuration. . It has been epoxy laminated to the stern and through
bolted. I selected standard marine circular center bolt sacrificial anodes.
Two  were attached to the plate below the water level.
I felt it was additionally important to internally brace the entire transom
with marine laminated 1inch plywood braces to further distribute any stress.
Sure has provided a very comfortable feeling...  I believe the engine  thrust
flexing is only a mild indication of the relative strength of the transom  to
stress....the force of my engine's weight sitting up and out of the  water is
the real "testor".  Now a heavier , 4 stroke  most probably  would magnify the
possible problem.... I'm surprised I have not heard of this  occurring
before.... perhaps I had an especially thin fiberglass  transom...  Burt

In a message dated 9/23/2007 9:30:43 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
robert at squirrelhaven.com writes:

ASNOOCH at aol.com wrote:
> ... My fibreglass repair brought
>  the  thickness up to over 1/2 inch, plus
> more than double the  backing. On the
> outside  of the stern, was cut a 1/4 inch
>  aluminum plate in the shape of the
> stern, to  which I attached  sacrificial
> metal plates , and both epoxy and bolted
> the  plate  to the stern...

I too have a little flex in my stern by my  motor mount,
so some questions, if you please:

Aluminum plate on  the OUTSIDE of the stern?

How big, what shape, where  mounted?

Bolted thru to a plate on the inside?

Where, what kind  of sacrificial plate?

Any pictures?