[Rhodes22-list] My First Real Look

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Mon Sep 24 13:40:16 EDT 2007

At 09:34 PM 9/23/2007 -0400, Michael Ticse wrote:
>4. Rudder. Need a clutch widget to secure rudder in the down position
>and in the up position. Rudder kept on coming up. The previous owner
>had a piece of wood in place that just easilly broke off. Now all I
>see are two screws w/ 1 wing nut on one of them.

Need a picture of the rudder and parts you describe.  Are the two
screws and wing nut on the forward part of the rudder stock?  The two
screws and wing nut may be part of the original clutch system for the
rudder line.  On my boat, the forward rudder line (the one tied to
the leading edge of the rudder) runs under a small block of plastic
that is clamped by one screw and a wing nut.  Adjust the "clutch"
with the wing nut.  I suppose the block could be stainless steel or
wood as well.

>5. Fuel line: How to run the fuel line under the seat. The fuel hose
>just sits freely from the tank to the top of the stern cushions and
>looks sloppy. What have you guys done? Didn't want to get happy
>drilling holes and regretting it.

I keep a 3.5 gallon tank under the port cabin seat.  The fuel line
runs under the seat, thru to the lazarette, and continues out a hole
drilled in the transom.  The hole is drilled well above waterline
where the fuel line can be easily run out to connect to the engine.

I did two things when installing the fuel line - 1) I slit a spare
length of rubber hose about 18" long
lengthwise.  Then I pushed that down on top of the raw fiberglass
edge at the front of the lazarette (under the seat) where the fuel
line passes into the laz.  This keeps that ragged edge from gnawing
away at the fuel line and causing problems later.  2) I removed the
fitting from the engine-side of the fuel line and passed it thru the
hole in the transom.  The hole is just big enough for the fuel line
itself (without the connector).  When you replace the connector, the
fuel line cannot be pulled out in either direction.

>7. What's a comfortable sitting position when on the helm? Couldn't
>sit in the back next to tiller facing forward. Main sheet traveler
>hits my shoulder. Otherwise, possibly need a hiking stick to reach
>tiller when facing port/starboard.

I usually sit on the port/starboard side sorta in the angle of the
seats.  When I want to lean back I put my feet up on the stern
cushion and pull out the hiking stick.  As mentioned earlier the
hiking stick and a coaming box can make a poor man's
auto-pilot.  Just don't trust it for very long ;-)

Cheers!

John Lock