[Rhodes22-list] Stars & Stripes

Charles Henthorn rexh at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 25 16:42:22 EDT 2007

Bob
      Did the same thing at St Maarten in 2002 and handled the mainsheet for the race.   After the race (which Canada won by about 10 feet), we received word by radio that the  pontoon boat that transports the tourist crews to and from the Stars N Stripes had motor problems and couldn't bring our replacements out nor pick us up because of motor problems.  So.....the crew asked if there were anybody aboard that sailed and I happened to be the only one.  They let me take the helm of the SnS for about 30-45 minutes ---- it is a sweet thing to sail!  Fast (as you know) but sensitive at the helm and a bit tender in the winds we had then ......I got to tack it about 5 times and jibe it twice before they wrestled the helm away from me --- (I fought but they prevailed).    That has been a real highlight for me---an experience I'll probably never forget.  If you're ever in St Maarten.....it is a must side-trip....even you don't get as lucky as me.
  Rex

Robert and Sandra Fuller <BobandSandy at tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
  Hey Bud, ain't that a blast! My son-in-law and I did it back in 2001in St. Maarten. I never realized there were multiple Stars & Stripes. They split us tourists into two groups and we raced against (and beat) a Canadian 12 meter.
Good wind and lots of tacks, but I was a winch grinder. Got the tee shirt though. Let me know if you ever get back over here on the best coast.
Bob