[Rhodes22-list] Removing motor for repair

James Barron jbarron1 at cinci.rr.com
Fri Sep 28 11:00:07 EDT 2007

When we picked up our boat in Edenton in May, the motor was in place, and I
thought that was for demonstration purposes, like having the bimini in
place.  I thought the motor would be removed when we left for home, but
Stan said "sailboats are meant for having fun, and taking the motor off and
on is not fun."  To adjust for the extra weight on the stern, he used his
sling crane to lift and move the boat forward on the trailer, so that the
bow touched the adjustable bow stop in its most forward position.

We towed the boat to Ohio with no swaying, so the tongue weight seemed
adequate.  How hard this is on the transom is hard to say, but I will go
with Stan's approach.  This may be a matter of opinion, and how much risk
you want to take.  I am not strong enough to routinely move the motor
around without considerable help.

Jim