[Rhodes22-list] Sandusky Bay

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Tue Apr 1 12:19:51 EDT 2008

Wow -- that's the way I remember Sandusky Bay.  Short choppy waves and lots
of air.  Does it always blow like that?

I was there once for a week in 1987, crewing at the US Sailing Championship
of Champions race, held that year in Interlakes.  An Interlake is a regional
three person boat, very similar to a Lightning, with a low boom and a
Potter-like snubby bow that cuts through the chop much better.  It blew like
stink the whole week.  I was 38 then and my skipper and other crew were late
50s, businessmen not athletes.  We were all set during the practice race to
hit the line just right at the start in about 23 winds on starboard -- along
with about 22 other boats, each skippered by national champions from all
over the US, when a crew from California that looked like teenagers
approached on port, without rights, and ROLLED TACKED the Interlake in high
winds on our port bow.  They came popping up from under the low boom like
pop-tarts from a toaster just after their bow turned past head to wind.
While the wind howled, three butts hit the side deck in complete unison with
similar force to football tackling practice hitting a sled -- just at the
precise instant the sails filled.  With a "pop", the California boat on our
lee bow rolled upright and scooted forward a couple of lengths.  Had they
not performed such a perfect high wind roll tack, they would have surely
fowled us at the start.  Pure youthful hubris.   At that instant, before the
start of the practice race, we knew for certain it would be a challenging
week for us.  It was.

That high wind roll-tacking skipper turned out to be Steve Rosenberg, winner
of the 1985 C of C race.  The 1987 race was won by Paul Forester and Andrew
Goldman of the Flying Dutchman class, who subsequently won Olympic gold
medals.  About 1/3 of the sailors were "professionals", 1/3 sail makers or
boat builders and the rest amateurs like us.  Our finishes didn't crack the
top half, but it was an amazing experience I will remember the rest of my
life.

PT