[Rhodes22-list] Jet Skis (UNCLASSIFIED)

Downs, Willard Willard at missouri.edu
Wed Apr 2 01:40:08 EDT 2008

Rummy --

For sure!  As it happens, I'm right now replacing some exhaust riser and spacer gaskets on a Merc 7.4  because they were leaking internally back down into the exhaust side of the manifold....I picked it up when, even with a new battery, the engine would barely make the first turn, then turn over normally till it started.   I thought at first it was just the starter dragging, but then on the advice of my mechanic, checked the plugs and found a couple wet on one side.  He said he gets several in a year because of this kind of leak which has filled the cylinders enough so that they will bend, or even break a rod when they're being turned over and start before the water has cleared.....I confess to not having heard that before, so felt I was fortunate to have been warned before any significant damage.   I guess it's a much bigger problem on salt water, where the life of risers can be pretty short even with flushing.  I should have seen it coming, as the tell-tale streaks on the external sides of the risers would have indicated that the gasekts were leaking (if you can see it on the outside, it's probably leaking on the inside too, and mine sure were).  That would not have been a good way to start off the boating season!

Take care.

Willard