[Rhodes22-list] April fools prank(what Ed hinted at)

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Mon Apr 7 09:24:20 EDT 2008

Being the fun loving person that I am, I received the following letter from
a good friend on APRIL 1st. I thought it was funny, so I sent it to anyone
that  I thought would have an interest in the lake. They apparently didn't see
the  humor in this letter and sent it to all their lake friends. Apparently this
 letter crossed the lake many times in a few hours. The short version of this
is  that I have been asked by the USACE (Army Corps of Engineers) to not send
this  letter out next year. Their office was apparently swamped with phone
calls and  e-mails from irate lake property owners.

Rummy

Here we go again. Something to complain about to our Congressmen and
Senators.
Last night in a closed meeting, the US Army Corps of Engineers, Anderson
County Management, and the United States Inland Lakes Management Authority,
including representatives from several southern states, announced that they have
finalized plans to make Lake Hartwell one of the nation’s premier recreation
destinations for Families.
This is being done due to the large numbers of vacationers who are  canceling
plans to visit their usual Children and Family entertainment sites in  the
state of Florida. These actions have been prompted by the increasing costs  of
gas and the corporate failures of numerous hotel, motel, and entertainment
facilities.
These cultural shifts are affecting Anderson County and the entire lake
areas in South Carolina, Georgia, North Carolina, and Tennessee.  Although the
I-85 corridor is developing  nicely, tax incentives to attract new business are
resulting in a sharply  decreasing tax base for our residents along with
expected drastic personal  property taxes beginning in 2008. With all the growing
needs, such as  infrastructure re-building, including highways , bridges, water,
sewage, and  environmental health issues, there is no way to take in
additional monies from  property owners other than to take advantage of the resources
throughout Lake  Hartwell.
This means that the Government will turn over all the Lake Hartwell  Corps,
property to the respective counties who will apply the properties to the
adjacent, current property and home owners’ tax base and apply additional taxes  to
each. This means that what is now the Corps. Property will be taxed to the
property owners. The real problem here, in addition to the extra taxes, is that
 the respective home owners will not have title to the property and the
current  rules of Corps. Property usage will remain in place.
The plan is to apply the new development program beginning immediately  and
gradually reduce the residents’ share of the cost as commercial developments
are completed. The initial areas of recreation, corporate convention sites and
family destination sites will be along the I-85 route and will begin with the
 county take-over of several existing boat launching areas and campgrounds.
Specifically named as initial beginning development sites were Camp Creek
access,  Ponderosa Campground,  Friendship Campgrounds, Twin Lakes, Walden Road
accesses, Anderson Island,  Portman Marina, and lakeside properties now owned
by Clemson  University.
Hotel management of Hilton Corporation, Marriott, Inc. and Double Tree  Inns
of America have already signed agreements of immediate development in these
particular areas. Restaurant corporations are being invited to participate in
the Plans along with diversified groups of racial and religious  associations.
Presented by the United States Council of Inland waterway  management this
first day of April,  2008.