[Rhodes22-list] Fwd: a picture for you

andrew collins engineerpac at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 14:47:57 EDT 2008

BIll

The engineering answer is that assuming the center of gravity is at the
center of the boat, (close enough for this rough estimate), the bow eye will
be supporting 50% of the 2900 lb boat weight when the boat is level. As the
lift raises the boat the load on it will decrease until it is supporting 0%
of the weight at vertical. This theoretical of course because all kinds of
things would happen before it got to the vertical position, like fall off
the rear stands. At the few degrees above horizontal the supported weight
from the bow eye would be .5 x 2900 lbs - 2-3 % of 2900. So the estimate is
right on. I am planning to do the same but with boat stands and a jack as I
don't have that nice lift, and the trailer will have to remain in place.
Andrew C
s/v Carmen
Grass Island, Greenwich CT