[Rhodes22-list] VHF Radio - request suggestions

David Bradley dwbrad at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 22:11:44 EDT 2008

Jim, more info...

Practical Sailor did their review in July 2005.  Here is the abstract.
 You'll need to buy the article or dig up a back issue for more.

Best Fixed-Mount VHF: Icom M302
With better basic audio and transceiver performance, the Icom M302
surpasses more full-featured competitors in our test of units under
$160. Standard Horizon's Quest is a close runner-up, and Raymarine's
Ray 48 comes up short.

The Icom 502, shown here, is the larger sibling of the M302, which
prevailed in our tests.

VHF marine radios remain the most common and useful communication
devices found aboard recreational boats. And for good reasons: They
are inexpensive, have no monthly user fees, and can be used for
routine voice traffic as well as emergency calls. Plus, with the
advent of Digital Selective Calling (DSC) several years ago (see
sidebar), limited digital information can now be sent via VHF. Other
methods of communicating by voice, via cellular phone, for example,
have become popular and do have a place on a boat—just not as the
primary communication tool.…