[Rhodes22-list] FYI..Chessie Sailors..but don't get your knickers in a twist

elle watermusic38 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 9 20:44:57 EDT 2008

GPS Warning - Ches Bay Sailors
The USCG Nav Center has posted this notice, which
centers around the Pax River Naval Station and
Solomons Island:

GPS NAVIGATIONAL SIGNAL UNRELIABLE

THE GPS NAVIGATION SIGNAL MAY BE UNRELIABLE FROM 01
APR 08 - 31 OCT 08 DUE TO INTERFERENCE TESTING ON GPS
FREQUENCIES
USED IN SHIPBOARD NAVIGATION AND HANDHELD SYSTEMS.
SYSTEMS THAT RELY ON GPS, SUCH AS E-911, AIS AND DSC,
MAY BE AFFECTED
WITHIN A 35 NM RADIUS OF POSITION 38-15-41N
,076-26-01W DURING THIS PERIOD. GPS USERS ARE
ENCOURAGED TO REPORT ANY GPS
SERVICE OUTAGES THAT THEY MAY EXPERIENCE DURING THIS
TESTING VIA THE NAVIGATION INFORMATION SERVICE (NIS)
BY CALLING
(703)313-5900 OR BY USING THE NAVCEN'S WEB SITE'S 'GPS
REPORT A PROBLEM WORKSHEET' AT WWW.NAVCEN.USCG.GOV"
The United States Coast Guard Navigational Information
Service (NIS), operated by the USCG Navigation Center,
is staffed 24/7.

This interference testing will be intermittant...if
you have a GPS find the setting that allows you to see
the GPS margin of error...become familiar w/the usual
range of error; variation out of that range could
indicate that they're playing with the signal.

Or just go due E or W until you see land....;^)