[Rhodes22-list] 21st Century 'Ernie Pyle"

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Tue Apr 15 21:19:23 EDT 2008

Brad - Responses in line.

Brad Haslett wrote:
> Robert,
> The last sentence says it all, "There is a recognition that we did not
> understand the extent to which their culture made it difficult to move from
> an authoritarian government to liberal democracy."
>
> Where shall we go now?  The world is a small globe - fast airplanes make it
> smaller.  We as a nation are imperfect, but what nation is better?  Where do
> Chinese dissidents who fear for their lives for their involvement in
> Tienanmen Square have to run?  In what nation can Islam evolve to the more
> enlightened passages of the Koran?  If we as Americans don't believe in the
> spirit of 1776, what hope do we hold for the rest of the world, most of
> which envies our lifestyle and freedoms?

The Spirit of 1776 was based on 200 years of development
from barely surviving colony to thriving society quite
able to take care of itself, largely devoid of internal
frictions and generally appreciative of diverse sources
and expressions of knowledge.

Not so Iraq.

Iraq is an artificial compendium of tribal factions
recently (70 years ago) pasted together to deliver oil to
the European communities and later to a variety of
industrial nations.

So long as the oil flow was not tampered with, we had
little care for the treatment of the quasi-nation's
peoples.  As OPEC grew in power, it became obvious that
they could take their marbles and leave the game - a
power shift not to be accepted.

We propped up Saddam as long as he was singing our tune,
but then he got too big for his britches, did the Kuwait
thing, and we started looking for the way to edge him out
of power.

Bush Sr. figured that if he destroyed Saddam's army and
credibility as a warrior, sanctions and popular pressure
would force him out.  Didn't work, of course, as Saddam
was a canny dictator.

One of our first major mistakes was to see Saddam in
terms of western mores, and his people as yearning for
Jeffersonian democracy.

Etc., etc...

The point is that we have persisted in trying to deal
with Saddam, the Iraqis, and other Mid-east leaders as
if they were westerners.  It ain't so.

And there are as many ways to express democracy as there
are individuals.  That is part of what democracy is
about -- not all, but part.

But this is the part that we are tripping over.

We need to recognize that there is a lot of work to do
to in preparing for our style of democracy.  Even in
our own country, there are many who do not understand
or accept the responsibilities of democracy.

Coercion and/or invasion and/or occupation are not
effective tools in accomplishing this.  Leadership by
example -- doing the right thing -- is far more
effective.  Getting along with -- honoring the
independence of -- our neighbors beats, "If you aren't
with us, you are against us."

> I'm all for realism, including the 'meat' of the article you referenced.
> But, "where do we go now?"
>
> It's easy to focus on the Bush 43 failures and the difficulties of the Iraq
> invasion.  That's one small part of a larger problem.  Solutions?

Do the right thing.  Lead by example.  Support emerging
countries by helping them grow straight.  Build consensus
among the community of nations rather than saying, "I am
the decider" to the rest of the world.  Live smaller so
we do not need to give away out treasure and finest to
reap resources from the rest of the world.

You have heard this before.  I am required to minimize
my footprint.  My contribution.

And when dealing with vandals (AKA terrorists) shoot
straight and fast.  No religion or politic that advocates
murder of innocents has any validity.  This ain't PC, it's
basic to our survival.

/Robert