[Rhodes22-list] E85

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 08:15:29 EDT 2008

Hank,

You are correct.  E85 is 85% ethanol and has to be handled in a separate
pump and clearly labeled as such (and the reason it has to have 15% gasoline
is to keep people from making martinis with the stuff).  I'm not sure if the
regs on labeling up to 15% ethanol is state or federal but I do know from
the Bonanza board that lots of stations are selling the stuff without it
being labeled.  Ethanol fuel is horrible in the marine environment and hard
on outboards.  Ethanol cannot be pipelined, it must be trucked because of
its corrosive nature so it is "splash" blended at the refinery as the truck
is loaded.  There are some efforts being made in the airplane community to
buy fuel before the "splash".  Maybe the same thing can be done in the
marine community.  Somehow I don't think Slim has a need for 8000 gallons of
scooter fuel.  On the other hand, if he had 8000 gallons of pure ethanol,
hummmmmmmm.

Brad