[Rhodes22-list] Wasps!

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Sat Apr 19 01:27:04 EDT 2008

Elle,

In NY, we have a real problem with paper wasps and fiberglass.  They love
the stuff.  They usually nest under the cockpit seats, up behind the coaming
compartments.  They have access to the laz from there as the laz
communicates with the space over the flimsy fiberglass bulkhead that
separates the laz from the cockpit - they just fly up and over and voila
they are in the laz.  I once slid under the cockpit seat to see what the
buzzing was and was terrified when I realized that there was an 8" diameter
wasp nest "hung" from the area under the jib winch just inches from my face!

My solution was to place cardboard on the cockpit floor for protection and
across the cockpit seats to enclose the space.  I then used an insecticide
"bomb" designed for wasps, placed in the space under the seat, all the way
over to the port side (where the nest was.)  The spray killed wasps in the
laz as well.  Another bomb was placed in the cabin with the companionway
door and all ports closed, remembering to protect all exposed surfaces and
removing all carpets, sails, cushions and bunks.  Wait the full 24 hours
before reentering the treated areas as specified.

Happy hunting,

Mike
s/v Shanghaid'd Summer ('81)
       Nissequogue River, NY