[Rhodes22-list] Faster than the Wind?

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Sat Apr 19 08:08:59 EDT 2008

Mary Lou,

It was GPS.  I was heading north with the current about 45 degrees off the
port bow and I had thought the wind was about 45 degrees off the starboard
bow.

With the sails pulled tight and the wind indicators parallel to the sails,
it gave me the allusion that I was really heading into the wind, but I never
actually measured it.  Upon reflection, I couldn't have been heading that
much into the wind with the genoa outside of the outer shrouds.

The only time I've measured progress into the wind was in 12 knots with the
headsail lines ran over the cabintop.  Now I'm curious to see how much
progress you can make with them ran inside and outside of the outer shrouds.

Didn't think about the effect of current.  Thanks!

Lee