[Rhodes22-list] A Rhodes visit?(now max hull speed)

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Tue Apr 22 04:05:57 EDT 2008

Had a short but enjoyable sail Sunday morning with Sara, her husband and
their charming 3-year old daughter.  If they buy a Rhodes (already gave Stan
a deposit) and join this list, I'll let her husband introduce himself.  He
has a little more sailing experience than this newbie, by about 50 years.
His father was the builder of the Flying Dutchman, the 19-foot racing
dinghy.  It was fun to take him on his first sail on the Rhodes22 and
"teach" him about the boat, although they had already visited Mary Lou and
Fred with Fretless out of the water.

Severe thunderstorm warning with 10 knot winds and plenty of strong gusts,
but chop was mostly less than 2 feet.  Not exactly ideal conditions to
convince your wife to buy a light-wind sailboat.  Poptop/boom up, board
down, Genoa just past the outer shroud (135%?).  Unsteady ballast--very
well-behaved 3-year old but she understandably wasn't about to sit still on
this carnival ride, and mom wasn't about to let her get out of reach.  I
would have had the boom down and less sail out, but Sara's old salt kept the
boat at less than a 10 degree heel with speeds consistently over 5.5 knots
at about 70-80 degrees into the wind.

Got me to thinking.  About what is the minimal wind speed to get our boats
to the maximal hull speed of 5.99 knots?  How much sail is out and what's
the point-of-sail?

Please feel free to change any of these variables:  No current.  No chop.
Less than 200 lbs. windward human ballast.  Less than 15 degrees of heel.
Boom down.  Board up.  Traveler centered.  No boom vang.  Reasonable amount
of alcohol.

I was just curious.  I've exceeded hull speed surfing on a run with just the
mainsail out.  I've hit hull speed on a beam reach with full 175 Genoa with
about 400 lbs. of teenagers with the rail in and out of the water.  But if
the wind is strong enough that I need to reef the Genoa to balance the sails
and keep the heel less than 20 degrees, I frequently don't hit hull speed.

Thanks!

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  At Ease
Kent Island, MD