[Rhodes22-list] Dawn and Michael looking for pricing information!!!

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Sun Apr 27 09:57:29 EDT 2008

Dawn and Michael

An explanation on your difficulty communicating with General Boats of
Edenton, North Carolina:

Right now is the busiest time of the year for small boat companies.
Everyone wants their boat now, in time for the first spring sail.

General Boats is not General Motors, although from the internet sites you
might think it is.  Stan is General Boats!  He is chief engineer, plant
manager, production supervisor, chief of quality control, technical issue
resolver, boat building instructor, parts manager, parts locator, parts
acquirer, modification design engineer, and you at this time ask for a
specific price?  Do you understand that Stan has outlived 95 % of his
suppliers?  That many things he used to be able to purchase as parts and
accessories he now has to make himself?

Have you noticed that several others have answered their own questions by
visting the General Boats Plant on Midway Drive in Edenton, North Carolina?
But understand because it is called the plant, by no means is there staffing
other than Stan and Rose who can answer questions correctly and in English.
There is no corespondence staff other than Stan.  There is no other Naval
Architect other than Stan.  There is no other costs estimator other than
Stan.  That is the inside story of General Boats.

If you were asking  questions in the month of November, you might get
quicker replies.  But at this time of year you have an 80+ year old boat
builder trying to get paid for boats on the water.  There is a limit of what
one boat builder can do.

If you want a fast and good estimate, make a reservation at the Spitzer
Hilton (see recent post by Chris Cowie for pictures and verbal description)
and Stan will talk to you and show you around after the production staff has
left.  In fact, Stan is at his best about 3 to 4 A.M. when he is planing the
days work for his people.

Keep in mind that what a item costs today may not be what that item cost
tomorrow if it is still available...

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
 "Sailing and boats have been a great way of life, not easy and not very
remunerative, but very rewarding." George O'Day