[Rhodes22-list] Chet, you seem to be an O.K. guy, but...

cjlowe at sssnet.com cjlowe at sssnet.com
Tue Apr 29 22:56:22 EDT 2008

Chet,
I've raised the mast,and lowered it with the PO and my son,and the next
year I bought the mast raising kit from GB,and never looked back.Did I
mention I'm cheap? The kit consists of a block that mounts on the cabin
top,just aft of between the two front ports(and stays there forever)a
gin pole with a self-brakeing winch(with line) that mounts to the
aforementioned block with two 1/4" bolts (finger tight is good enough).
two chains and shackles the attach to the lower forward shrouds and
their chain plates,when dropping the mast,they get snug in the last two
feet before the mast contacts the mast carrier,and centers the mast
perfectly into the V in the top of the carrier.And the mast
carrier,which holds the mast about 4 feet higher than if it was sitting
on the stern rail,giving better leverage for lifting.It also has a
roller that the mast sits on,so its easy to move the mast back and forth
from the bow rail to the tabranacle (sp).
Do you need the mast raising kit? It depends on how your going to use
your boat. If you just launch and retrieve once a year AND have a good
strong,and trusted friend,you can probably get by,but if you plan  on
trailering to another body of water once or twice a year or pay a marina
to raise or lower it for you,the mast kit will pay for itself real quick.
With the kit you can raise or lower the mast on the trailer or in the
water,by yourself.The mast carrier also lets you use the boat as a
camper when traveling.
It's not something you want to do everyday,but you can drop the mast on
the water,motor under a low bridge,and raise the mast on the other
side.Try that with your trusted friend , if you really want to test that
frindship.
Twice I've launched with the mast down because of low wires across the
ramp,or no set-up area,then motor to a slip or anchorage and set-up
there. Just my two cents.

Jerry Lowe