[Rhodes22-list] Kaziah and Friends - Project Compassion Ships 1, 000th Hero Painting

Hank hnw555 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 12:03:35 EDT 2008

Just got this from my uncle.  I think we had posts on this last year and
wanted to send the update.

Hank

Bless these people. Watch the video links on the second and third link
below. Well worth your time. nfs

 http://www.heropaintings.com/kzindex.aspx

http://www.heropaintings.com/news_media.html

http://www.militarytimes.com/hancock

Project Compassion Ships 1,000th Hero Painting

Milestone Coincides with 5th Anniversary of Iraq War, 4,000th American
Casualty

CATHEYS VALLEY, CA (April 14, 2008) — Project Compassion (
www.heropaintings.com) recently shipped its 1,000th hero painting to a
fallen American service member's next of kin the week of March 19,
2008—coincidentally, the fifth anniversary of Operation Iraqi Freedom and
the same week the Pentagon announced the 4,000th American casualty in the
conflict. The organization's five artists have shipped between 50 and 70 new
portraits in the month since.

"As sobering as these milestones are, for Project Compassion our 1,000th
hero portrait represents 1,000 thank yous on behalf of all Americans," said
Marie Woolf, CEO and executive director of Project Compassion. "A thousand
times so far, we at Project Compassion have proven that even as war is the
most destructive force we presently know, love is the most quietly creative
force we know—and for us, that means healing through art."

In keynote speeches to over 4,000 Air Force cadets, officers, guests and
international visitors at the 15th Annual United States Air Force Academy
Character and Leadership Symposium in Colorado Springs in February, Ms.
Woolf noted that many families of the fallen cannot seem to face their loss,
even to the extent of simply requesting their legacy hero portrait. Others
remain unaware because they avoid or lose casualty paperwork, which now
includes information about the Project Compassion portrait gift. Still
others do not realize that Project Compassion hero paintings honor all
Americans who have died in active military service since the attacks of
9/11/2001—not just Iraq or Afghanistan combat casualties—regardless of how
or where they died, including victims of accidents on or off base, illness,
murder, or who have taken their own lives, she said.

"Project Compassion does not judge the circumstances of the death of any
brave man or woman who has chosen to wear the American uniform since
September 11," Ms. Woolf noted. "All of them are heroes to us.

As a grieving mother of one such casualty recently wrote to Project
Compassion on receiving her painting: "How can I describe how in awe my
husband and I are of the beautiful portrait we received of our son. I can
hardly keep my eyes from it when we are in our living room —it is
breathtaking! When I saw the box on the doorstep, I knew 'IT' had arrived.
It has only been 8 months since my son passed away, but some days it feels
like yesterday. It's odd, but receiving that picture has helped with this
terrible journey that we are on—never to get over it, but to get through
each day. Please relay our appreciation to the artist... a magnificent
job... for our family. [This] service to all the many families is
incredible, what a gift to be able to share your talent with hurting
families. As I told you before, my son said portraits are the most
difficult... well he would be very proud... I'm sure he was looking down as
we opened the portrait and said, 'good job!' Thank you for keeping my son's
spirit alive through beautiful art. God bless you and all the people there
involved with this project."