[Rhodes22-list] Wow Michael W knows how to get response... about the Leaky Rhodes

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Fri Aug 1 14:16:38 EDT 2008

Ed,

Don't worry, I'm sure I'll pay for it ... Just about done for the day, goin'
sailing in a bit.  Light breeze, near perfect weather (SW 5-10 kts, 1' seas,
83F/60%RH)

Ed, you have the helm.

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY

From: "Tootle" <ekroposki at charter.net>Sent: Friday, August 01, 2008 2:00 PM

> Michael W:
>
> You got his attention... Keep in mind it is hot and humid in Edenton, no
> need to turn up the heat.
>
> This attachment is for Michael W:
>
> http://www.nabble.com/file/p18779800/Ben%2BC.%2527s%2Bvision.gif
> Ben+C.%27s+vision.gif
>
> Ed K
> Greenville, SC, USA
> Definition:  "Bar: Long, low-lying navigational hazard, usually awash,
> found
> at river mouths and harbor entrances, where it is composed of sand or mud,
> and ashore, where it is made of mahogany or some other dark wood. Sailors
> can be found in large numbers around both."
>

> stanleyl wrote:
>>
>> Steve,
>>
>> caught this thread
>>
>> make sure you tell them you did not want a recycled boat so bought a used
>> as
>> is one.
>>
>> and listen to Michael W, he's a wise guy and may be on target when he
>> says
>> look at the cb line pennant opening in the cockpit - if the cb hose is
>> not
>> connected to this fitting a good part of the rain water collected at the
>> cockpit seat level will drain directly into the cabin.  that can be a lot
>> of
>> water.
>>
>> thanks Michael.
>>
>> ss

>>> style.  Where is the water?  If it is in the bilge under the cabin
>>> floor,
>>> check the following sites for leaks:
>>>    1.    Properly closed poptop - make sure it is all the way down.
>>>    2.    Companionway door - If the wood needs to be replaced or doesn't
>>> fit
>>>                well it may leak like crazy, especially under the bottom.
>>>    3.    Make sure that the boat is tilted to the stern otherwise water
>>> may
>>> pool by
>>>                the door (in the gutter by the centerboard pennant.)
>>> Also,
>>> check the
>>>                bedding of the centerboard pennant fitting and hose which
>>> both are
>>>                located in the cabin, under the step.  They can leak into
>>> the cabin.
>>>    4.    Check the drains in the cockpit, especially the cockpit seat
>>> drains which
>>>                may be clogged.  The most common leakage area is the laz
>>> when the
>>>                seat drains are clogged.  The archives are full of info
>>> on
>>> replacing the
>>>                seat drains with larger fittings.
>>> http://www.nabble.com/Cockpit-Drains-to10901814.html#a10901814
>>>    5.    Check and/or replace seals on front opening ports.  Sometimes
>>> screen
>>>                is not seated and port fails to seal.  They also collect
>>> water which
>>>                will drain through if seals are bad.
>>>    6.    Rebed all ports and hardware.  If nobody has already done this,
>>> your
>>>                mid 80's R22 is long overdue.  Remove, clean and rebed
>>> all
>>> with a
>>>                good quality marine sealant such as 3M 4200, 5200,
>>> Boatlife,
>>> etc.
>>>                This is not a quick process but is usually worth the time
>>> if
>>> done well.
>>> http://www.nabble.com/Fred-on-rebedding-ports...-to16222183.html#a16224703
>>>

>>> If it is in the lazarrete, check the following sites for leaks:
>>>    1.    Check the drains in the cockpit, especially the cockpit seat
>>> drains which
>>>                may be clogged.  The most common leakage area is the laz
>>> when the
>>>                seat drains are clogged.  The archives are full of info
>>> on
>>> replacing the
>>>                seat drains with larger fittings.
>>>    2.    Check the rear of the lazarrette hatch for proper fit and wear.
>>> The early
>>>                80's boats used a plastic or rubber hinge that may be
>>> leaking.
>>>
>>> http://www.nabble.com/Laz-leakage-at-the-rear-of-hatch-to10855778.html#a10910323
>>>
>>> Sometimes it is easiest to close yourself inside the cabin while it is
>>> raining (or have an assistant use a garden hose) and watch for leaks.
>>> Good