[Rhodes22-list] Muireann swims!

Arthur H. Czerwonky czerwonky at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 4 22:14:55 EDT 2008

Joe,

Thanks for the note to Rob - we'll have to see.

I have this boat trailer-loading problem also, I can solve part of it, not yet all.  The boat comes furthest forward when the front of the bunks are just under water, but I don't drive the boat onto the trailer this way.  I'll position the trailer with the bunks 1' (lengthwise) out of the water so that they will clearly brake forward motion, thereby protecting the bow area.  I have a red line strung from the front trailer ladder to the stbd winch to keep the boat from floating away before I get off; then attach the bow eye strap and move the trailer to a lower position in the water with the bunk fronts 'just wet'.  That is my method for landing the boat without damage to the bow.

Some trailers, I think Triads included, have a bow bumper (I now use a urethene roller versus v-shaped bumper) which can be adjusted fore and aft with a holding screw, for just the problem we all should have in common.  When exiting the ramp, the boat will rotate at the trailer reaches level terrain, not moving forward because of the grip of the bunk carpet.  Ergo, the new gap between the boat and the bumper.  For my needs, I don't really lose sleep, because I just move a short distance to the dry slip at the marina and tie the boat down.  If I need to transport, I use 2" heavy duty straps from Northern Tool (often on sale ~ $13) front and back, and the boat shouldn't move while on the road.

Now a real problem - I really miss sailing the Bay while in landlocked Atlanta.  I saw Hartwell this weekend and our cove is about dry!  I'm going to have to move to the coast or the gulf or go nuts.  We used to live in Pensacola when I taught at the Navy Preflight School, had a home on the Grand Lagoon (Seaglade).  What a little paradise!  I hope Elle, Lee, Herb, and others never take open water for granted like I did Grand Lagoon.  I have thought about having the boat at Panama City, which is closer than St. Pete, but just doesn't have nearly the personality.

Chow,

Art