[Rhodes22-list] noisy night

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Tue Aug 5 11:58:01 EDT 2008

Paul,

A search of the archives (www.nabble.com) for "IMF noise" turned up this item from Rummy in '06:  http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A-imf-noise-p4127229.html

    "My experience has been that the slapping you hear is not from the IMF,
    but from the wires that are run through the front opening inside the mast.
    This is a  common problem on all sailboats. You have wires that go upo
    to the steaming light     and possibly a VHF antenna lead in there. There
    are two ways to eliminate  the noise that have been discussed on the list
    in the past. The first is to use wire ties and attach them to the wires every
    foot or so as you pull them through the mast. This process requires you to
    remove the wires  and reinstall them.

    The second solution and possibly the easiest is to stuff the tube with foam
    pipe insulation. If memory serves me correctly, you need 2 or 3, four foot
    sections for the lower part (below the spreaders) and another section  for
    above the spreaders inserted from above.

    Both solutions require your dropping the mast and removing the top plate
    on the mast.

    My foam insulation has been in my mast for about seven years and I haven't
    had any problems or sound with it.

    Hope this helps.

    Rummy"

I would have thought that Rummy's solution might have been a bottle of Mt. Gay rum, not for the mast but to eliminate the sleeping problem ...

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY

From: "Paul Krawitz" <krawitzmail-rhodes22 at yahoo.com>Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 10:44 AM