[Rhodes22-list] Dismasted!

Lowe, Rob rlowe at vt.edu
Wed Aug 6 09:13:46 EDT 2008

Slim,
Let me know how you/they end up fixing the pulled chain plate.  I'm
still facing the same issue. - rob

Damage report:  The mast tabernacle broke away from the cabin roof.
This is
what it's supposed to do.  Just three hefty wood screws hold it on and
if it
were through-bolted it would have torn off a nice big chunk of the
roof--which it did not.  The bow stay broke about a foot up from the
chain
plate.  The forward lower shroud chain plate on the starboard side
pulled
completely out.  The stern rail has a big bend in it where the mast hit
it.
The jib furling tube has a little bend toward the top and a small tear
in
the sail.  Wires to the radio antenna and the steaming light tore apart.
But there was no significant structural damage to the boat itself.  The
mast
does not seem to be bent after hitting the stern rail and then falling
the ground.