[Rhodes22-list] South Ossetia - not sailing but international 'politics' - Art please note politics was at end until I amended subject line for you

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Sun Aug 10 08:18:56 EDT 2008

Folks,

South Ossetia has made recent headlines.  Why is Russia so interested in it?
The Russians claim most of the citizens of this provence are Russian, but is
that the real reason?

Consider the oil pipeline that runs thru South Ossetia to Europe.  It is the
only other pipeline that connects Europe with Caspian oil fields that does
not run thru Iran.

Why does Russian support Iran?  Add to their support of Iran and there
victory in South Ossetia what does that do to European oil supplies?

And there is a large portion of the U. S. and European populations that
believe negotiations are the answer.  So was appeasement just prior to WW
II.  Russia is trying to regain its empire.  Are there real options?

The above is presented for educational purposes, no position taken.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
Addendum: “Negotiation is also a process in which a successful outcome
depends on convincing the other side of our tenacity; it's easy to say "I
can't possibly accept that offer," but it's not so easy to persuade the
other side you really mean it. So there is a natural tendency to bluff, and
to seek ways to give credence to our claims. One way of backing up our
claims is through emotions: an angry outburst or a teary interlude may make
the other side think: "Wow, s/he really means it, it's coming from inside."
Fake emotion, like all bluffing techniques, is in need of ethical
evaluation.”   Rabbi Dr. Asher Meir
--
View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/South-Ossetia---not-sailing-but-international-%27politics%27---Art-please-note-politics-was-at-end-until-I-amended-subject-line-for-you-tp18912720p18912720.html