[Rhodes22-list] South Ossetia - not sailing but international 'politics' - Art please note politics was at end until I amended subject line for you

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 21:55:59 EDT 2008

Robert,

He does!  While watching the opening of the Olympics I noticed Putin rose
from his seat and greeted Laura and President Bush as they took their
seats.  I read today that they were observed having a heated discussion
during the ceremonies.  You have to wonder if W still sees someone "he can
trust" in those blue eyes.  What leverage do we have over Russia?  Europe is
hostage to Russia for energy.  The UN is toothless - NATO?  I always did
feel we declared the peace dividend to early after the end of the Cold War.
Time will tell.  The world remains a brutish and nasty globe.

Brad