[Rhodes22-list] pls take me off your list.

KUHN, LELAND LKUHN at cnmc.org
Wed Aug 13 16:37:50 EDT 2008

Stan,

Legalize drugs and quit importing oil?  Well that's downright
un-American!

Prohibition didn't work.  Alcohol, nicotine, caffeine,
over-and-under-the-counter drugs, soda pop, Big Macs and lots of other
bad things that we put in our bodies ARE legal.  Illegal drugs could
certainly help lead to the demise of our society but our youth is
probably spending more time watching reality shows, which must have a
more damaging effect than drugs.  When you look at the fall of other
empires, drug-use wasn't the culprit.  If we take the millions of
dollars used to finance the war on drugs (including related prison
costs), we could launch massive educational anti-drug campaigns to
convince kids that drugs aren't worth it, or pay children a monthly
increasing stipend if their urine is clean.  Just making drugs
unprofitable for criminals would probably take care of the problem.  How
many liquor bootleggers do you know north of the Mason-Dixon line?

Everyone agrees we should reduce/eliminate our dependence on foreign oil
and lots of experts have plans on how to do it.  I'm not quite sure why
we aren't aggresively pursuing other alternatives.  I think it may be
that too many rich Americans are making too much money importing oil, or
it may just be that the alternatives are too much work and require too
much sacrifice.  I must admit that I'm awfully lazy and have done little
to reduce my imprint, aside from owning a sailboat.

Lee