[Rhodes22-list] Is there anyone out there who can help mewithmy Yahmaha 9.9 4 stroke

Daniel Johnson djohnson0671 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 17:20:08 EDT 2008

Alice,

I got an e-mail reply from the marina that worked on my Yamaha 9.9.  I
haven't been to the boat (go tomorrow), so only know what they have said.
They said they found the fuel contaminated, which fouled the spark plugs.
So they have replaced the fuel, the spark plugs, and cleaned the
carburetor.  Say it runs fine now.

That leaves me with one question - how long will the fuel stay usable?  I
got the boat from Stan in early April with gas in it.  Used about half of
what was in the tank, added 2 gallons about 2 weeks ago.  When I added the
gas, I put in a fuel additive called Starbrite that claims to be good for
absorbing moisture and treating ethanol gas.  Was recommended by the guy at
Boaters World.  Now I am questioning this additive, since I had no problems
before using it.

Any thoughts on how quickly I should burn off the fuel in the tank, or how
to avoid a repeat of this fiasco?

I hope you have been able to figure out something with yours.

Dan