[Rhodes22-list] Stainless Steel Cutting Question

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 16 21:27:23 EDT 2008

Robert,

Might work - on the other hand, it's pretty tight working quarters for that big a tool.  This is a stainless steel duct riveted to the firewall before the engine was installed. There's an internal flap/valve that needs attention. One could get access from the bottom if one removed the cold air/heat mix box, another item installed before engine installation.  I had some good sheet metal guys on my hangar row look at the problem and they all said, "cut an inspection plate and repair it from the top".  When asked how they all shrugged and said, "I do aluminum".  Plasma cutting would be the ticket but I'm not sure about the electrical grounding of the working material and the currents that would be involved.  We ran into this problem with our trackhoe when we welded the hydraulic thumb on, but that was a simple matter of disconnecting the "brain" while we welded.  Not so simple a solution in this case.  This is starting to shape-up into one of those problems
 that might only be solved by throwing money at it.

Brad