[Rhodes22-list] Dan in the lofty latitudes of New Hamshire

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Sun Aug 17 08:02:14 EDT 2008

Dan,

I recommend going back to Alice’s post.  Copy all issues presented and
suggested solutions to problems.  I do not suggest that there is a known
black and white answer; however, it seems that one cause for all the
problems may be fuel.

Read Rik’s recommended solution of Sea Foam.  Understand that Rik is in the
small race track business and has knowledge of motors.  Michael W.’s epistle
is to be studied.  Go to the web site of the West Marine Advisory article
and see how it relates to issues presented.

Apparently a problem of alcohol added to gas is separation and moisture.
This is the part of the problem that the filter is directed to.  You have a
new motor that has only been run on gas with alcohol added (?).  Then there
should be no issue with reside or grunge other than what you get in the gas
to begin with.

I plan to buy the filter locally and add at the gas tank hook up soon as I
can locate and get fittings.  Apparently gas with alcohol will separate
within a few weeks.  I use the same gas all summer and then some.  From
reading the article I have to believe that I am getting separation due to
time only.  After separation there is a time before the alcohol evaporates,
therefore potential for water.  I think based on available information, that
the biggest need for the filter, is to capture water.

Stan will have to ask his local Yamaha dealer and professional sources as to
accuracy of the information that I presented.  Nowhere was a technical memo
referenced from Yamaha, just based on experienced solving the numerous
problems being had by many.

My information came from another group having been presented with a problem
like Alice presented here.  The West Marine memo was cited by one and how
the local dealer is dealing with multiple customers having similar problems.

Remember, you have a sailboat, so the motor should not be your primary
source of power.  On your lake you could always scull home.  With the Rhodes
22’s rudder, just tilt it up at slight angle and it sculls great.
Sculling instructions:  http://www.simplicityboats.com/ScullYulohaboat.htm

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA