[Rhodes22-list] Single Handing

Chris Geankoplis napoli68 at charter.net
Wed Aug 20 14:05:46 EDT 2008

I've had a couple of experiences with selfinflating vests.  IN the mid '90's
I had a couple of Westmarine selfinflaters that I use religiously on my R22
when crossing the Gulfstream or doing any night sailing and during any bad
weather.  They worked great and gave a real sense of security.  The only
down side was one time while at anchor in the Bahamas, there was a loud and
strange noise from the cabin.  I looked in and to my horror the entire keel
of the boat had been driven up through the hull, even shoving the stepdown
up 6 or 8 inches!  Upon closer examination I found that one of the jackets I
stored under the stepdown had selfinflated (high humidity perhaps?) lifting
up the stepdown.  You know they might prove useful in lifting somethin up a
couple of inches in an emergency.

Chris G.