[Rhodes22-list] Single Handing

Mike Cheung mikecheung at att.net
Fri Aug 22 17:32:23 EDT 2008

I actually have no idea whether my genoa has a luff pad or not.  My guess,
however, would be no.  They're not new sails; possibly a mistake on my part
when spec'ing Muireann out with Stan.  I'm not sure that we'll have Muireann
out a whole lot in the "gales of November" up here.  I have a pretty healthy
respect for the Great Lakes in the late fall.

The WB inflatable PFD/vests have good harnesses, though no "crotch" strap.
The rig is snug enough that I don't think it would be pulled off in use
though, which is what counts.  I haven't inflated one yet, so I don't know
how well they float someone our size.  We're pretty little though (155# and
125# respectively), so I'd be pretty surprised if there wasn't enough lift
in them.  The autoinflate vest should be a non-issue in terms of deployment;
both the manual and auto vests have pretty hard to miss lanyards.

I do end up backwinding the jib some when I tack because I wait until the
boom passes the boat's centerline before "popping" the working sheet and
moving over to the new windward side.

Mike C. s/v Muireann 93/08 R22