[Rhodes22-list] cruising guide quest, and dumb question

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Sat Aug 23 15:48:04 EDT 2008

At 08:23 AM 8/23/2008 -0400, Joe Babb wrote:
>We are looking for a cruising guide for the western coast of Florida
>that would be more detailed than the Waterways guide, specifically the
>areas around Apalachicola to St. Marks.  Anybody ever tried the "A
>Gunkholer's Cruising Guide to Florida's West Coast" by Tom Lenfesty?

I have the Gunkholers Guide... 12th edition (1981) and I don't think
it has been revised since.  There are only about 2 pages devoted to
that specific area - covering Cedar Key northward to Apalachicola
(which would include St. Marks).  I haven't sailed with it, so can't
tell you more than that.  Being 27 years old, I wouldn't depend on it heavily.

The other guide I have is a Pelican book - Cruising Guide to Western
Florida by Claiborne S. Young 6th Edition, 2004).  There is now a 7th
Edition released just this year.  This is a hefty book, but focuses
more on the southern portions.  The final chapter is "The Big Bend"
which covers the whole area from about Tarpon Springs north to St.
George Bay (includes St. Marks).  Doesn't get to Apalachicola, but it
does provide a lot more detail than the Gunkholers book and it's up to date.

Then you might add to your list Young's "Cruising Guide to the
Northern Gulf Coast" (I don't have this one).  This takes up where
the other guide left off and covers Apalachicola west thru
Louisiana.  If I read correctly this revision is from 2003, so it's
reasonably up to date.  If it is written with the same attention to
detail you couldn't go wrong buying both for the trip.

Cheers!

John Lock