[Rhodes22-list] LHC Large Hadron Collider Projects

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Wed Aug 27 12:28:10 EDT 2008

If you need something to do for the winter when many of us are not able to sail (NO Ed, I'm not hauling my boat to the Hartwell mud flats this winter!) you may want to check out this website:

http://www.iop.org/EJ/journal/-page=extra.lhc/jinst

They have full manuals (pdf) for the new Hadron Collider and many projects.

Many have worried about the creation of black holes by the LHC ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Hadron_Collider ):
  Concerns have been raised about the safety of the LHC on the grounds that high-energy particle collisions performed in the collider might cause disastrous events, including the production of stable micro black holes (mBHs) and strangelets.[9][10] Several CERN-commissioned reports[11][12][13][14][15] and subsequently published research papers[16][17] have corroborated the safety of the LHC particle collisions. One research paper published on August 10, 2008 reaches the opposite conclusion, stating that "at the present stage of knowledge there is a definite risk from mBHs production at colliders." This researcher also suggests several steps that might reduce this risk.[18]
Since the LHC has been in operation over a month and we are still here ...  Just think, a planet swallowing black hole with your name on it!!

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY