[Rhodes22-list] Is there anyone out there who can help mewithmy Yahmaha 9.9 4 stroke

David Bradley dwbrad at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 17:21:03 EDT 2008

Hi Alice.

I've been disconnecting the gasline and running the motor dry for
years, on this boat and a 70 HP Yamaha I had on a Boston Whaler.
Always seems to have worked for me.  Would be interested to know if
others have been cautioned against doing that.

This Yamaha 9.9 never worked right when I first got it - it was an
earlier-year model that had not been sold but must have been demoed or
something and then sat in a warehouse for a few years.  It started
poorly and stalled at idle (or when changing gears) until I had a
mechanic really get the jets cleaned out.  He said gas must have sat
in the carb and turned to varnish.  For the two years since then it's
run great - starts with one or two pushes of the starter even if it's
been sitting for a month or more.  I always run it dry if I don't have
specific plans to be back on the boat in a day or two.

Dave