[Rhodes22-list] 12V refrigeration/freezers CR-65

Dana realnamen at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 5 10:00:34 EST 2008

Rummy, you are right about the size.  It is a bit smaller than the standard cooler, although I find that it has about the same storage capacity since I don't have chunks of ice or frozen bottles in there.

I did the same research as AndrewCo regarding retrofitting the existing cooler.  I found that almost all 12V cooling apparatus in this size range use the Danfoss BD35 compressor, and that insulation is the next most important criteria.  Based on cost and hassle, I chose to go with a complete new fridge instead of a retrofit.

I chose the CR-65 based mainly on exterior dimensions.  I wish it was a little taller, but it was the closest to the correct dimensions that I could find.  The bottom rear of the fridge is angled just right to accommodate the curvature of the hull, and the compressor is at the top rear with a fan that circulates air forward/aft.

My boat is kept in the water all summer and I have power at the dock, so the fridge is kept cold all the time.  If you see a blue '86 in a harbor on Leech Lake in northern MN during the summer, help yourself to a cold Corona.  They're in there. :)

-Dana