[Rhodes22-list] Mary Lou, a reply about Sail Purchase Post

mtroy at atlanticbb.net mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Sat Dec 6 08:32:00 EST 2008

Ed, Not sure which you are talking about. A reply appeared
on the list last night. I don't think it went to Nabble
but it's there in the Archives.

It said:
When we had our 175 reconditioned by Sailcare and a new
luff tape
added (one that would be compatible with the Schaeffer
Snap-Furl that
we were buying to replace the GBI furler), they added
padding to the
luff and replaced the sunbrella UV cover with a Titanium
Dioxide
coated dacron sailcloth UV cover. The lighter weight UV
protection
has made a big difference in the handling characteristics
of the
sail. It was explained to us that this material would not
last as
long as the Sunbrella. It is also only available in white
and seems
to attract dirt (and maybe mildew - haven't decided yet)
 like a
magnet. Even the blue sheets wrapped around it when furled
leave
blueish marks. However it is a significant improvement to
our ability
to use the sail in light air. We didn't sail much this
year and we
never did get the UPS out (it's a fun sail but it does
take time to
set it up) but we did marvel each time we sailed in light
air that
the 175 seemed a completely different sail. The jury is
still out on
the luff padding and even the new furler but the lighter
UV material
is a winner (even if it looks grungy).

If I had to replace the sail today, I am unsure whether I
would go
with another 175. I do love it on those 4 to 7 knot breeze
days and
we get just enough of them that I might be nudged in that
direction.

Hopefully we'll get more sailing in next season and I'll
have a more
informed opinion on the new furler and the luff padding.

ML