[Rhodes22-list] Ayers Finally Speaks

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Tue Dec 9 16:33:24 EST 2008

Sorry, the claim that it was not terrorism does not establish that fact.

They blew up buildings. The were not attempting to stop anything those
buildings themselves were doing. The attacks were "a screaming
response", and directed at someone outside of the building. Ayers is
narrowly defining terrorism as "campaign to kill and injure people
indiscriminately", but Ayers does not define terminology.

 From Dictionary.com:

*ter-ror-ism*

--noun
1. the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, esp. for
political purposes

What they did was violent. It was meant to intimidate and coerce, and it
was for political purposes.

It was terrorism. Terrorists SELDOM call; themselves terrorists. They
believe in their cause, and that their actions are justified. Ayers fits
that mold as well.

If you (or anyone else) is doing something I don't like, and I blow up
your barn, then tell you I will continue blowing up your buildings until
you do what I want, I would be a terrorist.

Bill Ayers was a terrorist.

Ayers went on to say in his article "I have regrets, of course --
including mistakes of excess and failures of imagination, posturing and
posing, inflated and heated rhetoric, blind sectarianism and a lot else."

Yet even in THIS article, he never stated that bombing buildings was one
of those "regrets".

When you package that along with his other rhetoric, I'd say that
probably qualifies him as unrepentant.

So, I'll restate my position. He offered no facts disputing what was
said about him. Sounded more like an explanation of his views to me.

.

Steven Alm wrote:
> Herb,
>
> The "facts" that he disputes are those that claim he was and still is a
> terrorist:
>
> "Peaceful protests had failed to stop the war. So we issued a screaming
> response. But it was not terrorism; we were not engaged in a campaign to
> kill and injure people indiscriminately, spreading fear and suffering for
> political ends.
>
> I cannot imagine engaging in actions of that kind today. And for the past 40
> years, I've been teaching and writing about the unique value and potential
> of every human life, and the need to realize that potential through
> education."
>
> On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 2:47 PM, Herb Parsons <hparsons at parsonsys.com> wrote:
>

>> Actually, I didn't see any "facts" that he disputed. What did I miss?
>> Oh wait, I forgot, when did the facts matter to the detractors?
>>

>> Lowe, Rob wrote:
>>
>>> Steve,
>>> Thanks for posting.  I saw something he wrote a week ago that wasn't
>>> quite as long.  As he said, their association was portrayed falsely, but
>>> when did the facts matter to the detractors. - rob

Herb Parsons