[Rhodes22-list] USGS Earthquake Information

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 08:20:01 EST 2008

Rummy,

As a matter of fact I do.  We had to go with a separate company
because AllState cancelled ours after Katrina (too much exposure). My
agent tried to keep me by saying "the chances of an earthquake here is
infinitesimally small", to which I replied, "then why worry about the
exposure"?

My wife came here on a graduate scholarship to study geophysics at the
Memphis Earthquake Center and wrote her Masters thesis on research of
the New Madrid Fault. Her adviser left to head the USGS here and
recently moved to Denver with his wife, both Stanford PhD's in
geophysics. We have no excuse for not being aware of the dangers.

The reason I pay $400 for earthquake insurance is not to rebuild, but
to move.  If you think New Orleans and the MS Gulf Coast is slow
recovering, you ain't seen 'nuthin' yet.  I want the option of bugging
out of town.  The last time there was "a whole lotta shakin' going on"
from New Madrid it rang church bells in Boston and the Mississippi
River flowed backward for two days (creating Reelfoot Lake).

Brad