[Rhodes22-list] Illinois Politics

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Wed Dec 10 10:43:44 EST 2008

No.

Illinois politicians give much better value for money than this.

Fitzpatrick has documented how this works:

Blackwell Jr. (whose main business is computer consulting) wants a state
contract, he learns the man to see is Rezko, (this was easy to
learn--everyone knew it) Rezko tells him who to hire, what charity to
donate to, what campaign to donate to, what house or airplane to lease
for the use of someone else, and the total amount expected in
aggregate.  The amount seems to hover around 1%--so it's a really great
deal--and its going on everywhere--you can't get a state job any other
way--everyone is doing it.

Now, Rezko is great at head fakes.  You want a computer contract?  Hire
this politician to run your Ping Pong promotion.  Send the money to this
law firm I control.  They will pass the entire amount through to the
designated politician.  You now own the politician as well as the
contract--2 for the price of 1!

If Blackwell Jr. got onto Blago's transition team there had to be lots
of juice.  He pops up over and over.

Obama controlled the hospital board that doled out CONs (if you can
believe it) -- Certificates of Need.  You couldn't expand your hospital
without first obtaining a CON.  You couldn't get a CON without paying
off a lot of politicians.  The only way you could get on the board was
by going through Obama. Rezko told Obama who got on the board and who
didn't.  Rezko told Obama who got CONs and who didn't.

So one of the hospitals that needed a CON decided to hire Obama's wife
for $100,000 a year (increased to $300,000 when her husband became a
Senator.)  The hospital got its CON.  When Obama became a Senator,
doctors in the hospital sold their mansion to Obama for a fraction of
the real price. Rezko arranged for a mortgage for Obama from other
bribe-payers angling for different deals.

Obama inserted a million and a half dollar earmark into a completely
unrelated senate bill for the hospital.  Fitzpatrick will start tracking
that billion dollars worth of earmarks backwards to the various sources.

Everything works fine until a good prosecutor starts flipping people.
They tell him where to look, and sure enough! records confirm money
flowing in unexpected directions.  Then he flips another and another. In
Illinois the string is endless.  You can't get into Illinois politics
unless you play the game.  Party affiliation means nothing.

Sorry, Ed, all THESE guys ARE crooks.  And everyone in Illinois knows it.

Brad,

I don't know how long it will take to unravel the twine, but from a
perverse journalist's point of view, the longer the better.  I had
absolutely no idea of the level of corruption in Illinois prior to
checking out Obama's provenance early in the campaign.  I was stunned at
the depth and breadth of  it, and greatly saddened that the media made
absolutely no effort to expose it prior to the election.

This is sure to be a huge distraction for Obama for as long as he
remains in office.  The party pros will actually run the government
while Obama and Axelrod tap dance.  It will be hugely entertaining,
although, sadly, the country will probably slide into an economic
situation it can't recover from in our lifetime...if ever.

Obama won't cause this, he just won't be able to do what must be done,
even if he had the slightest idea of what that might me.

But I digress...

Even in your most cynical heart of hearts you can't imagine what these
guys have been up to for the past 50 years.

Bill Effros