[Rhodes22-list] Politics: Blago

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 11:53:21 EST 2008

Bill,

That's a damn good question.  The ultimate answer would be a
Presidential pardon.  Let's see, Eric Holder, the architect of the
Marc Rich pardon, is supposed to be the new AG, hmmmm. Nope, too
obvious. One would have to think that Blago's worth as a witness will
go down over time.  He's competing with Rezko for who can sing the
loudest, but, unlike Rezko, he hasn't been behind bars yet so right
now he's still in the defiant mode. I'm still betting on the State
Treasurer next before the Mayor.  My rough guess would be that a
couple of years in a country club prison like Webb Hubbell or a Jim
Guy Tucker would be the best he could hope for.  Unfortunately, I know
some convicted felons in Illinois (don't ask how closely related) one
of which did time in the general population with one of Governor
Ryan's lieutenants. Blago knows the Illinois prison system and he
definitely doesn't want in the state system.  Most of his convictions
will be for Federal crimes anyway so I'd say "pick-of-the-litter" in
the Fed system would be his best hope (he wants to make salads in the
kitchen not toss salads in the cellblock). One would think they'll
have to sentence him with at least one charge, so negotiating for the
one charge with the shortest term would be his best bet. I think
Fitz's original "Big Fish" was Daley and he will probably get him.  At
this point he doesn't have to try all that hard for "The Really Big
Fish".  He'll go down the same way Richard Nixon did - it's not the
crime, it's the cover-up.

Brad