[Rhodes22-list] Bimini and wish list reply to Rod and Jerry

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Mon Dec 15 07:02:51 EST 2008

Rod,

Jerry mentioned track mounts for the Bimini.  The company that made them for
Stan went out of business years ago.  Unless some other company makes them
today that is not an option.  If you find them, let me know.  And maybe let
Stan know too, he still gets requests for them.

In the south, the bimini is important on sunny days over half the year.
Maybe as far north as Jerry the sun is not that much an issue.  Think
sunburn.  You cannot always hide in the lee of the main.

You can sail with an IMF in the up position and the bimini.  That is until
gust get to over 10, then the wind pressure can heel you over too much,
unless you sail like Rummy.

At anchor you can attach drapes to the sunny side or rain side.  I have a
couple of sunbrella pieces that I made into small tarps that I use close
pins to attach and let hang down.

At night you can use it to keep moonshine off the boat.

Ed K
Addendum:   "SHIVER MY TIMBERS!: Expression of surprise - especially when a
ship runs aground. Shiver is used in the sense of 'shatter' - splinter into
pieces."

Ellner wrote:

> Thanks. I think we will like it expecially at anchor
>
> Rod
>

>>Our boat is a '86,that we bought in'03. The bimini on her mounts on the
>>fairlead track on both gunnels,on a car that can slide the full lenght
>>of the gunnels. In Ohio,we seldom sail with the bimini up,if it's windy
>>enough to sail,a hat is all you really need.At anchor or drifting,it's
>>great on hot days. With the bimini on the tracks it gives alot of
>>options for storing,front or back (we normally store it laying on the
>>pop-top,up or down.) With it moved forward on the tracks,you can still
>>access the swim ladder and get back in the cockpit from the water ,with
>>the bimini up.
>>The best use that I have found for it is on a rainy overnight with the
>>PTE up and the front of the bimini forward of the aft of the PTE,lets
>>you keep the back window of the PTE open for much needed
>>ventelation,even in a pretty hard blow. I haven't tryed it ,but it
>>would most likely let you sit out a storm in the cabin with the hatc
>>open.It fits nicely in the cabin for trailering.I won't have any
>>trouble finding the money to replace it when it goes bad.I normally
>>leave it up on overnights just to keep the cockpit dryer.(from dew)
>>

>>On 12/15/2008, "Ellner" <ellner at pressenter.com> wrote:
>>

>>>To those of you with a bimini,
>>>
>>>We are adding a few things to our boat at General  Boats. It is beautiful
country in that area and between.

>>>Is the Bimini a good addition to the boat? And, does it store easily?
Does it fold forward and to the stern?