[Rhodes22-list] Blagojevich Impeachment Inquiry Stalls

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Tue Dec 16 17:37:28 EST 2008

Brad,

They found him!  Sadly, the Big O was unable to determine what he said
that was captured on FBI tape.

(No surprise there, Obama said he barely knew Rezko until the FBI
produced tapes and recordings of him having lunch with Rezko on a
regular basis.)

December 16, 2008, 1:08 pm

      Obama News Conference: More on Cabinet, Less on Blagojevich

By Katharine Q. Seelye
<http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/author/katharine-q-seelye/>

Barack Obama today skirted a question about whether there should be a
special election in Illinois to replace him in the United States Senate.

Many in Illinois have been calling for a special election, saying that
any appointment by Gov. Rod Blagojevich
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/b/rod_r_blagojevich/index.html>
would be tainted. But some Democrats may be backing off that idea now,
apparently worried that a Democrat would not be able to hold the seat in
this political climate.

Mr. Obama, speaking at a brief news conference in Chicago, where he
introduced Arne Duncan as his choice for education secretary
<http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/12/15/obama-picks-arne-duncan-for-education-post/?scp=1&sq=arne&st=Search>,
said he would leave the decision up to the state legislature.

He did say that he believed the governor could not serve effectively.

But in a somewhat tense moment during his few minutes with the press, he
cut off a reporter who asked him to reconcile his earlier statement that
he would take a "hands off" approach to finding a replacement for
himself and a report that his top adviser, Rahm Emanuel, had presented
the governor with a list of possible replacements.

Stopping the reporter midsentence, Mr. Obama told him he didn't want him
to waste his time asking a question he wouldn't answer. Mr. Obama said,
as he had yesterday, that he had done a "full review" of the situation
but at the request of the United States attorney, he would not comment
on the matter until next week.

He added that he had "not confirmed" the report about Mr. Emanuel's
presenting the governor with a list of names.

At this point, the cameras cut away from Mr. Obama to show a smiling Mr.
Emanuel standing in the back of the room.

The reporter tried to press the question but got nowhere, then tossed
Mr. Obama a softball about his jump shot (forgive the mixed metaphor).

The episode prompted the instant analysts on MSNBC to suggest that the
press corps needed to get tougher on Mr. Obama and hold him more
accountable. For one thing, they suggested the reporters demand that Mr.
Obama take more than three or four questions at a time. And they
lamented the absence of reporters like Sam Donaldson of ABC News, who
was famous for using his deep loud voice to demand answers to his questions.

On other matters, Mr. Obama was asked whether he was running out of
options to jump-start the economy, now that the Fed was lowering its
interest rates to almost zero.

Mr. Obama said it would not be good policy for him to second-guess the
Fed, but acknowledged that "we are running out of the traditional
ammunition that's used in a recession, which is to lower interest rates."

He then made a pitch for his economic stimulus plan.

He was also asked about his commitment to public schools, given that he
sends his daughters to private school, and whether he agreed with the
idea of paying students $100 for getting As and Bs. He did not respond
directly, but did say that the Chicago public schools "aren't as good as
they need to be."

The last question was whether he would keep his earlier promise to
appoint Republicans to his cabinet. He has appointed only one or two so
far, but noted that he has more appointments to make.

"When you look at our entire White House staff and cabinet, people will
feel we followed through on our commitment to make sure this is not only
an administration that is diverse ethnically but also politically and in
terms of people's life experience."

Bill Effros