[Rhodes22-list] PAINTING HULL

Arthur H. Czerwonky czerwonky at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 21 09:31:11 EST 2008

Wally,

Good questions - important to identify procedures, materials, and potential cost overuns.  I had my boat bottom painted before the show in Annapolis a few years ago, a little surprised with some findings.  The old bottom had six coats of hard shell, each from a different paint job, but never had received a barrier coat.  There was no question that the necessary barrier coat was not applied to my '86.  Barrier coat is a baseline requirement in my opinion.

Since boat painting contractors may each have individual opinions, maybe shortcuts in doing bottom, hull, or topsides, I'd have any quote defined to a 'T' re paint to be used,  prep to be done (sanding, how done -blasted or paper sanded - cost parameters if more sanding prep is called for), specific paint to be used, your options for how you can maintain after the job, etc.  Get specifics, then compare the answers.  I paid < $1,000 for my job, and much extra sanding was required to get the six old paint coats removed.  As I recall, the barrier recommendation (by mfg) was 5 rolled coats of 2000E (10 mil?), topped by three rolled coats of premium ablative from West. Costs will vary by region, but this may be a fair benchmark to use.  I always suspect "Well, just leave the job up to me," and always insist on details.

Boomroom footnote - I'm setting up my schedule for next year''s production, so if you contemplate a need for 2009, do reach me directly by back channel.

R,

Art
s/v Mary Jane