[Rhodes22-list] Hard Cases Make Bad Law- Rendering Aid in an Emergency.

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Mon Dec 22 12:47:11 EST 2008

Ben,

Although EMS trained individuals are told that they are covered by the Good
Sam provision, most carry liability/malpractice insurance (belts and
suspenders attitude.)  Most are insured by their association, emergency
service agency or sports club.

I feel for the person who provided the assistance.  The problem is that an
untrained individual can easily do more damage and should wait for emergency
personnel to arrive, UNLESS waiting would make rescue impossible.  It is the
latter clause that will more than likely become the crux of the case.  An
EMS trained individual would probably not attempt to move a person from a
car wreck without appropriate assistance and equipment (back board, neck
brace, etc.) unless the person was in "imminent danger" (explosion, fire,
etc.) and the exposure could not be mitigated otherwise (i.e., extinguish
fire.)

The filing is at:
http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/opinions/documents/S152360.DOC

The question is not whether you would fail to provide assistance at the
scene of an accident but rather would you try to think of another solution
before attempting to move a severely injured person without proper equipment
or help.

Unfortunately, the outcome for both individuals in this case is terrible.

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY

From: "Ben Cittadino" <bcittadino at dcs-law.com> Sent: Monday, December 22,