[Rhodes22-list] Politics: Upping the Ante

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 13:49:23 EST 2008

Bill,

First, some personal notes:  dragging ass after a grueling early
morning six hour drive, the last hour into Memphis was extremely heavy
rain - time for a nap.  Gulfport is not short of bars and I made the
rounds to catch-up on old friends.  The bar business is down.  The
working men aren't working but the usual suspects were there - retired
military, retired municipal workers, folks drawing disability (lots of
them around), and just plain retired.  Nothing against those people
(except the "disabled" who ask me for part time work) but you're not
going build a vibrant work force and an economy with that crowd. Our
client "found" some more money after I explained to him that I
understood his cash flow issues, I just needed to stop by the
courthouse on the way out of town and file a lien, nothing personal,
just business.  Everyone is trying to "lean-on-the-trade".  I learned
that game 30 years ago with New York based clothing manufacturers with
plants located in Arkansas before everything was shipped to China.
Homie don't play!

Obama's alligator mouth promised more than his sparrow ass can
deliver.  Bush 43 was a profligate spender and Obama's plan to
double-down on spending won't work.  The Chinese aren't interested in
loaning more money.  The best we can hope for is that they don't call
in their markers.  He may  very well crank-up the printing presses and
we know where that leads.  The basic problem here is that real estate
went through a government sponsored bubble and until the excess is
sucked-up, few markets will recover.  Asian investors are buying, cash
laden investors are buying, lots of energy in the real estate
marketplace is sucking-up the excess inventory but Congress feels they
need to bailout "the little guy speculator".  People are starting to
fall behind in payments just so they'll qualify for 'gubment' dictated
re-financing. The building we tore down this week should have come
down three years ago but the owners (pretty wealthy) didn't want to be
the dumb asses that missed out on some 'gubment' program.  Markets
work but they take time.  The One knows nothing about markets, he's
never participated in one himself.  What he has done is steer tens of
millions of dollars to friends in housing projects that were
eventually condemned or taken over by the 'gubment'.

I don't see anyway around a major government crisis.  Fitz has the
goods on The One.  Maybe if they just say "forgetaboutit" with Blago
they can spare The One but their crimes are the same.  The NYT's will
either save themselves by putting down the crack pipe and the Kool-Aid
and acting like a newspaper or they'll go bankrupt - which is my bet.

Back to personal stuff: my retirement is waaaay off in the future and
off schedule.  My boys both have strong backs and good work ethic -
they'll need both.  This ain't gonna be our father's economy.

Brad