[Rhodes22-list] History

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Wed Dec 31 13:27:21 EST 2008

Here's the history as I remember it dating at least to early 1998.
Similar to Bill's but differing in a few key factors. (If people are
going to be using the archives for list history I figured I ought to
post the history as I remember it.)

I believe the early list was a Sail-net email list. Sailnet was
founded in 1994. I don't know when they started their email lists. I
think I found the Rhodes list about the same time we purchased
Fretless in the Spring of 1998 maybe a bit before. It was not a
Rhodes 22 list but a list for admirers and owners of any Rhodes
designed boat. The R22 owners quickly overwhelmed the list and it
became a de facto R22 list. We were delighted to find each other. If
there was another  email list before that, it was not a link on the
GB website in early 1996 when we started looking at the R22. There
was evidently a print R22 Owners Association newsletter that ceased
publication in 1991. Sailnet changed owners several times with
impacts on email list reliability and the rules for the list. At some
point (2002) our esteemed Michael Meltzer (who did indeed help GB get
into the web business in the 90s and was a long-time R22 owner)
offered to host the list on his server. He put it together in one
night using the rhodes22.org domain which he had already used in
setting up the Rhodes owners site on his server. That was the genesis
of the current list. For a while people were on both lists but
eventually the Sailnet traffic withered away and Sailnet got rid of
their email lists completely earlier this year. They still have
forums (bulletin boards) and there is still a Rhodes forum there.

In the early days of the list there were several gatherings of Rhodes
owners (and wannabees). There was a memorable dinner at Carroll's
Creek Restaurant and another at Buddy's in Annapolis after the Boat
Show. I remember Cam Whetstone carrying his new centerboard cap
around as we waited to get in and Michael Meltzer checking email on
his laptop long before any of the rest of us had heard of aircards.
This was followed by a couple years when Jan Eyres (event planner
extraordinaire) and I (but mostly Jan) planned an after hours catered
dinner at the Annapolis Boat Show. Michael arranged the passes to get
us in after-hours. Somewhere I still have the pics from that. There
was a memorable gathering at Kentucky Lake. We didn't go but it is
memorialized with pics on the Rhodes owners website. There was a
marriage. There were a couple of gatherings on the Chesapeake as well
as well as several mid-winter Chesapeake PlanJams - the last at my
house last January with 30 some people. At this year's Boat
Show  (and last year's) we had lunch with Rhodes owners from the list
in a mini-gathering organized on the list. These things won't happen
if people sign off the list because of the content or the tone of the
conversations.

In the early days, if there were angry outbursts and hard feelings
they mostly went off list. One person (maybe two) did get banned when
they couldn't abide by the charter. It was Michael's call. It was his
list. Bill is right that Stan used to send people to the list but I
don't think Stan ever claimed ownership. I know that we all have felt
a great deal of gratitude to Stan for continuing to build and recycle
the boats that we sail with such pleasure. For the most part we have
tried to be helpful to General Boats. My guess is that the link to
the list came off the GB website when politics started getting ugly.
I'm pretty sure Stan still sends people to the list but probably only
after they have bought the boat or at least have made the decision to
buy the boat.

The list charter was a group effort by members of the list to make
rules that we could live with and still get along with each other to
everyone's benefit.

Rummy, who just left the list, through his own good efforts compiled
an owners list that was available to any member in good standing of
that list. It was invaluable as we got to know each other. When Rummy
decided to pack it in, I volunteered to take on the owners list but
life intervened and I didn't get to it. By the time I was ready to
take up the effort the political problems were in full swing and I
wasn't feeling all that eager (not a good excuse just the truth about
how I felt at the time). If the list becomes tolerable again, maybe
I'll make another attempt.

Mary Lou
1991 R22  Fretless
Rock Hall, MD