[Rhodes22-list] Marines & Berkeley - More Political Scum - A reply

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 12:19:41 EST 2008

Rik,

As long as you're in the reading mode, I've got another one for you I'll
attach. We ARE looking at the tip of the iceberg and Western Civilization is
under attack.  I'm not going to waste my time or anyone else's arguing about
whether we should be in Iraq, should have been in Vietnam, or the US Civil
War for that matter. We ARE there (Iraq) and the same crowd that snatched
'defeat from the jaws of victory' would like to put another notch on their
belt, damn the consequences.  John Kerry was "only" off by 3 million souls
how many South Vietnamese would be killed when we left.  The same people who
cry for us to do something in Darfur want us out of Iraq.  Where is the
logic in that?  I'd love for us all to have a group hug, sing folk songs,
and celebrate peace, but there has never been a point in history where that
was possible. Frankly, I'm not a big fan of the IRS but if I chained myself
to the front door of their building here in Memphis I'm guessing it would
take the MEM police about two minutes to arrive and tazer me into a new
attitude.  The idiots in Berkeley and others have their right to protest,
the right to their own opinions, but the Berkeley city council doesn't have
the right to encourage and allow defacement of property. The CodePinkers
love to invoke the name of Hitler - I fail to see the difference between
their actions and Kristallnacht.

Brad

-----------------------------
February 03, 2008 Forty Years of the Tet Offensive *By* *David
Warren*<http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/author/david_warren/>

Breaking the negotiated annual truce, for surprise, Viet Cong and North
Vietnamese regulars launched the Tet Offensive, in the night of 30/31
January 1968, named for the Vietnamese lunar new year. This campaign
continued in various forms through September of that year, ending in total
military defeat, for the aggressors. And a brilliant propaganda victory, for
the same.

Thinking back on the Vietnam War this last week. And while I was doing so, a
young leftist friend wrote to me, on an entirely unrelated topic, taunting
with a remark about 2008 being, "The last year of the American Empire" -- as
if it started and ended with George W. Bush. He does not seem interested in
the question: By whose Empire will that vacuum be filled?

My friend does not even think of himself as a leftist, only as a person with
an "open mind." We agree on that, but define "open" differently, for to my
mind, a skull without a brain inside is completely open. The more brain, or
more precisely, the more brain used, the more resistance it can offer to the
importation of nonsense.

Forty years have now gone by, which one might figuratively characterize as
the forty years of the Tet Offensive, against Western Civ. The West has done
fairly well in the field: we have still not lost a purely military encounter
with any of the enemies of the West. Going back farther, the French didn't
even lose their battles in Algeria. Rather, Charles de Gaulle decided they
were not worth fighting.

The Tet Offensive was a desperate ploy by the Communist enemy in Vietnam.
Tens of thousands of his troops were flung simultaneously at more than 100
South Vietnamese towns, and into the heart of Saigon. The Communists
announced a general uprising, but that did not occur. The tide was actually
turned within a few days by the U.S. and South Vietnamese armies. As they
re-took town after town, they discovered massacres the Communists had
committed while in possession. The enemy's real object had been to
decapitate a whole society.

My friend, Uwe Siemon-Netto, a German Lutheran pastor and also life-long
journalist, was there as a reporter. Entering Hué as the smoke was clearing:
"I made my way to university apartments to obtain news about friends of
mine, German professors at the medical school. I learned that their names
had been on lists containing some 1,800 Hué residents singled out for
liquidation.

"Six weeks later the bodies of doctors Alois Altekoester, Raimund Discher,
Horst-Guenther Krainick, and Krainick's wife, Elisabeth, were found in
shallow graves they had been made to dig for themselves.

"Then, enormous mass graves of women and children were found. Most had been
clubbed to death, some buried alive; you could tell from the beautifully
manicured hands of women who had tried to claw out of their burial place.

"As we stood at one such site, Washington Post correspondent Peter Braestrup
asked an American TV cameraman, 'Why don't you film this?' He answered, 'I
am not here to spread anti-communist propaganda'."

The Tet Offensive ended not only in a huge allied victory in the field --
some 45,000 of the Communist soldiers had been killed, and their
infrastructure destroyed. It was victory after an event that showed
sceptical South Vietnamese, and should have shown the world, the nature of
the enemy our allies were fighting.

Walter Cronkite, the famous news anchor of CBS, led the American media
reaction. After a very brief visit to Saigon, in which he got himself filmed
wearing flak jackets, he returned to the United States, declaring before his
huge prime time audience:

"It is increasingly clear to this reporter that the only rational way out
will be to negotiate, not as victors, but as an honourable people who have
lived up to their pledge to defend democracy, and did the best they could."

The media turned a tremendous victory into a tremendous defeat. Yet seven
more years would pass until an America, which had by then abandoned Vietnam,
and a Congress, which had cut off military supplies to the South Vietnamese,
watched the helicopters removing America's last faithful servants from a
roof in Saigon's old embassy compound. The South Vietnamese Army had
surrendered, to another Tet Offensive, as it ran out of ammunition.

We have seen this "Vietnam syndrome" writ large, through the intervening
years. We see it today in Afghanistan and Iraq. The Romans, too, had a
facility for winning ground battles.
 otiosus at sympatico.ca

(c) Ottawa Citizen