[Rhodes22-list] FW: HISTORY EXAM

Rik Sandberg sanderico1 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 23:07:49 EST 2008

Hi Mary,

Been sayin' I am older than dirt for a while. Guess now I have proof. :-)

Rik

Ellner wrote:
>>  Now that you've all voted.........here's the test!
>>

>    Mary
>
>    Waiting for the ice to be out in Wisconsin
>

>> History Exam .
>>
>> Everyone over 40 should have a pretty easy time
>> At this exam.   If you are under 40 you can claim a handicap.
>>

>> *** Get paper & pencil & number from 1 to 20.
>> ****Write the letter of each answer & score at the end.
>>
>> 1.  In the 1940s, where were automobile headlight dimmer switches located?
>> a. On the floor shift knob.
>> B. On the floor board, to the left of the clutch.
>> C. Next to the horn.
>>
>> 2.  The bottle top of a Royal Crown Cola bottle had holes in
>> it.   For what was it used?
>> a. Capture lightning bugs.
>> B. To sprinkle clothes before ironing.
>> C. Large salt shaker.
>>
>> 3.   Why was having milk delivered a problem in northern winters?
>> a. Cows got cold and wouldn't produce milk.
>> B. Ice on highways forced delivery by dog sled.
>> C. Milkmen left deliveries outside of front doors
>>   And milk would freeze, expanding and pushing
>>  Up the cardboard bottle top.
>>
>> 4.   What was the popular chewing gum named for
>> A game of chance?
>> a. Blackjack
>> B. Gin
>> C. Craps
>>
>> 5.   What method did women use to look as if they were wearing
>> stockings when none were available due to rationing during WW II.
>> a. Suntan
>> B. Leg painting
>> C. Wearing slacks
>>
>> 6.   What postwar car turned automotive design
>> On its ear when you couldn't tell whether it was coming or going?
>> a. Studebaker
>> b. Nash Metro
>> c. Tucker
>>
>> 7. Which was a popular candy when you were a kid?
>> a. Strips of dried peanut butter.
>> B. Chocolate licorice bars.
>> C. Wax coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water inside.
>>
>> 8. How was Butch wax used?
>> a. To stiffen a flat-top haircut so it stood up.
>> b. To make floors shiny and prevent scuffing.
>> c. On the wheels of roller skates to prevent rust
>>
>> 9. Before inline skates, how did you keep your
>> Roller skates attached to your shoes?
>> a. With clamps, tightened by a skate key.
>> B. Woven straps that crossed the foot.
>> C. Long pieces of twine.
>>
>> 10. As a kid, what was considered the best way to
>> Reach a decision?
>> a. Consider all the facts.
>> b. Ask Mom.
>> C. Eeny-meeny-miney-MO..
>>
>> 11. What was the most  dreaded disease in the 1940s and 1950s?
>> a. Smallpox
>> B. AIDS
>> C. Polio
>>
>> 12. "I'll be down to get you in a ________, Honey"
>> a. SUV
>> B. Taxi
>> C. Streetcar
>>
>> 13. What was the name of Caroline Kennedy's  pony?
>> a. Old Blue
> [...]

There is no magic to Free Enterprise. It is the best way to create wealth, but it does not prevent people from making mistakes. Capitalism offers people a chance to make money. But it also offers them a chance to make fools of themselves. Free Enterprise – like the rest of life – merely permits nature to take her course.

Bill Bonner